What is the difference between Palliative Medicine and Hospice Care?
Palliative Care is the medical term for pain and symptom management. Stein Navigator palliative care is a service offered by Stein Hospice that may be appropriate for individuals who have been diagnosed with a serious or advanced illness.
Unlike hospice care, patients may choose to receive palliative care while continuing to pursue aggressive treatment and further diagnostic tests. Many of our Navigator patients have more than one serious illness such as Cancer, COPD, Heart Disease, Kidney Disease and Alzheimer’s/Dementia.
We focus on helping patients manage their symptoms, supporting them throughout their illness and assisting the family in finding additional free, community resources that improve their quality of life.
What Help Can I Expect from Stein Navigator?
• Minimizing stressful and costly emergency room visits and unnecessary hospitalization are two of Navigator’s prime goals.
• We work collaboratively with your physician to better manage pain and symptoms and to help you avoid the hospital as much as possible
• We offer support to your family and friends, so those who help care for you have someone taking care of them. Emotional support is so important during health challenges and our trained volunteers and staff can help with difficult conversations between you and your loved ones about topics such as living wills and Durable Healthcare Power of Attorney.
• A Team Approach – Illnesses advance and care needs change throughout a person’s life. As we interact with you and your family, our volunteers and clinical staff will monitor your condition during every visit and phone call. We want you to receive the right level of care when you need it. Our Navigator Team is comprised of Advanced Practice Nurses, social workers and trained volunteers.
• 24 Hour Access – You will have toll-free access to a caring nurse 24-hours- a-day, 7-days-a-week. Your team will visit you wherever you live – a private residence, assisted living or nursing home.
• Care Collaboration – We work alongside with you, and your physician to coordinate your care.
The Stein Navigator team is available to answer your questions and concerns. Call 419.329.4000 or 866.602.1734, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.